Welcome to Mrs. Cunningham’s First Grade Class
- Listen when your teacher is talking.
- Follow directions quickly.
- Raise your hand to speak.
- Respect yourself, others, and your school.
- Be safe.
Class Dojo – This is a program where I monitor specific behaviors, allowing students to gain or lose points. Parents also have access to their child’s points on a daily basis. Students work toward obtaining the goal of 100 points to earn a reward coupon. The coupon gives them choices of rewards to choose from. After achieving 100 points they continue their goal of working toward their next 100 points. Class Dojo also allows me to communicate with parents using a messaging component in the app. Dojo is explained more in depth in an additional letter. Please be sure to read the entire letter and please ask if you have any questions.
Take Home Folder – Your child will receive a Take Home Folder on the first day of school. The folder MUST come back to school each day with your child. The left side of the folder will contain papers that need to be left home - Keep At Home. The right side of the folder will contain anything that needs to be brought back to school - Bring It Back. Please check your child's folder each evening for important notes, forms, and homework (due Friday). If the take home folder I’ve provided your child with gets lost or damaged, it is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to provide their child with a new take home folder as soon as possible.
Other Supplies - The ONLY supplies you'll need to purchase for your child in my classroom include:
- (2) 24 pack boxes of Crayola Crayons-replenish throughout school year as needed
- (2) Packages of Ticonderoga #2 Pencils
- (1) Blunt Tip Scissors
- (4) Jumbo Glue Sticks
- (2) Packages of Jumbo Expo Dry Erase Markers-Black Only
- (2) Plastic Pocket Folders WITHOUT prongs
- (1) Pencil Box
- Please consider donating tissues and baby wipes.
- PLEASE DO NOT SEND IN REGULAR MARKERS, COLORED PENCILS, HIGHLIGHTERS, OR PENS.
HOMEWORK AND TESTS
Homework is an important part of first grade. It reinforces and provides extra practice and teaches responsibility. Please make sure your child completes his/her homework. They have an entire week to complete it. Your child will receive a homework packet every Monday that will be due back in school on Friday. It should not take longer than 20-30 minutes. Spelling tests will be on Fridays. All other tests will depend upon the date of completion of ELA Units and Math Modules.
If your child is having a birthday and you would like to send in a birthday treat please let me know 2-3 days ahead of time. If you object to your child having birthday treats please inform me. If you would like to celebrate your child’s birthday in school please follow these guidelines.
- Store bought cupcakes of all one flavor work best. Please do not send in cakes as we are limited to kitchen serving utensils.
- If you choose to send in a drink please send in juice boxes instead of cans or large bottles of juice.
- Please provide napkins and paper plates.
- Please give me at least 2-3 days notice so I can plan accordingly and make sure your child’s day is special. Thank you!
I pay very close attention to the way your child comes to school in the morning and how he/she will be going home in the afternoon. Your child will need a written note if he/she needs to go home a different way other than their normal routine. For example, if your child rides the bus to school, you need to write me a note or call me at 792-2167 or Dojo me to let me know if they will be getting picked up by car/walking and vice versa. If your child tells me in the morning that “Mom or Dad is picking me up from school today instead of taking the bus,” your child will still go home on the bus unless you write me a note or call me to inform me of the change. This procedure is for your child’s protection and safety!
CONTACTING MRS. CUNNINGHAM
You may call me at 792-2167 with any questions or concerns. I am also available to speak in person before and after school. You may also write notes and place them in your child’s folder.