Federal and State Legislation has greatly impacted the District and the Department of Grants, Contracts & Compliance. The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) as well as other mandates/regulations have influenced the following:
- The testing of at least 95% of all students—Regular Education, Special Education and English Language Learners (no exemptions).
- Requirements identifying areas of certification and licensing status for all District teachers.
- Requirements for all District paraprofessionals.
- Federal and State classification of Schools In Need of Improvement.
- Parental rights defining the homeless student and displaced families.
It is the responsibility of the Department of Grants, Contracts & Compliance to assure that all State and Federal requirements/mandates are implemented.
The Department initiates funding for and manages approximately twenty-five (25) successful programs that supplement the general education curriculum in the District. These programs total more than $20 million in supplemental funding. The programs include the following:
- Title 1 – Academic Intervention Programs (AIS) for the at-risk student population
- Title II A – School Improvement and Staff Development
- Title III – ELL
- Title III – Immigrant
- Title IV - Student Support and Academic Enrichment
Other Grant Programs: Universal Pre-Kindergarten, Teacher Center, Teachers of Tomorrow, Refugee School Impact Grant, School Improvement Grants, Bank Street Education Center, Learning Technology Grants, Empire State After School Grant, McKinney-Vento Grant, VTEA-Perkins Grant, Bilingual Education Grant, IDEA Section 611 & 619 Grants, and My Brother’s Keeper Challenge Grant.