UCSD Bus Safety Guidelines
SCHOOL BUS SAFETY RULES
The following information is useful for school bus riders and their parents.
Video cameras are installed on all buses that transport Utica City School District students. Students are filmed while on the bus. Violations of the Code of Conduct or any behavior, which substantially distracts the driver and causes, or has the potential to cause, a safety hazard on a moving bus, may be the basis for suspension from bus/school and/or expulsion from bus-riding privileges.
Click on the sections below to expand them for detailed information.
- Be at the bus stop 10 minutes prior to your scheduled pick-up.
- Wait at the designated stop in a safe place well back from the side of the road.
- Remember the danger zone around the bus. The danger zone is anywhere close enough to the bus to touch it. The bus driver cannot see you when you are in the danger zone.
- If you cross the street to get on the bus: when the bus comes, wait until it has come to a complete stop. The bus driver will make sure all the traffic stops. The stop arm will be out and the red lights will be flashing. Watch the driver. When the driver knows it is safe, he or she will signal you to cross, but watch for traffic yourself. Walk, don’t run.
- Hold the handrail as you get on the bus. Don’t push or shove.
- Take your seat promptly and sit properly, facing forward at all times.
- Hold bags and parcels in your lap. Do not stick your feet into the aisle; someone might trip.
- Keep your head and arms-everything-inside the bus. Don’t throw anything out the windows or around in the bus.
- Talk quietly. The driver must concentrate to drive the bus safely.
- Save snacks for snack time at school or till you get home. They may spill or you may choke if the bus goes over a big bump.
- No fighting, shouting or playing in or around the bus.
- Always follow the bus driver’s instructions.
- No spraying of perfumes, deodorants, hairspray, air fresheners, etc. is allowed on the bus.
- No foul language or improper hand gestures toward students, bus driver or general public.
- BULLYING WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.
- When you leave the bus, hold the handrail and take two large steps away from the bus.
- To cross the street in front of the bus, walk ahead at least ten giant steps (three meters). Cross only when the driver gives a signal. Cross the street in single file.
- If you drop something near the bus, don’t pick it up. Tell the driver or other adult.
- If everyone is getting off the bus, the people at the front leave first. Do not push.
- Be familiar with the rules for emergencies.
- Parents should meet children on the side of the street where the bus stops. If your child is in Kindergarten parents or guardians are required to be at the bus stop for pick up and drop off.
- Guns (real or toy)
- Skis and ski poles (not allowed on regular routes)
- Spray cans
- Saws or axes
- Skateboards and scooters
- Matches, lighters and tobacco products of any kind, including e-cigarettes.
- Knives (real or toy)
- Bags of returnable cans
- Animals (pets)
This list is not all inclusive.